**NOTE:  This post was written before Edmodo recently released its latest version.  In the latest version, there are no longer links to folders, and students can no longer create or organize folders.  Just an FYI if you're considering upgrading to the latest version.

One of the features I have always liked about Edmodo that provides students with a way to organize their cornucopia of uploaded digital goodness (i.e. files and links attached to assignments and posts) is the Edmodo library.  If you're already an Edmodo user, you know how fabulous the library is, with its ability to upload all types of files to it, shareable folders (for teachers), Google Docs integration, and sorting by anything attached to posts.  I admit that last year I did not take full advantage of this fabulousness, as I was more concerned with my students learning how to use the basics of Edmodo.  Thus the library got second billing to things like turning in assignments (and the right document into the right assignment), reading class announcements, and logging in to Edmodo outside of class time to turn in assignments and read class announcements.

I plan on having my students use the features in the Edmodo library from the start of the school year this year, so I started poking around in there.  As I scanned the page, I noticed something I had not seen before today: (Click to see a larger image)
Picture
Look, a link to a folder! More Edmodo magic!
There is now a button called "Play View" and a link to the folder you are currently viewing (you have to click on a folder in order for the link to appear). After a quick trip to Google, I realized they had added these features a few months ago.  But that didn't matter--they were there now, and, in a moment of pure serendipity, their appearance collided with a conversation I was having about ePortfolios while I was Googling.  In the collision's aftermath, I had this thought:

Students could develop ePortfolios using folders in the Library. (After another quick Google search, I realize I'm not the only one who has had this thought, but I can't find any references to anyone who has actually done this.  If you have, let me know!)

Students would have to create a folder in their accounts (preferably with the word "portfolio" in the name somewhere) first.  Then, as they create artifacts or evidence throughout the semester or entire school year, they can upload those to their library as links or files and put them in their portfolio folder.   This folder could be a working portfolio containing all possible artifacts until it is time to turn in the portfolio for assessment; then, students could remove or add pieces before the final due date, turning it into a final assessment portfolio.

How would they turn in this portfolio?  They would turn it in to an assignment you as the teacher would create--and they would submit the link to their folder after clicking "Turn in" on the assignment.  (They have to mark the check box next to the word "Public" for you to be able to view the contents of this folder.) Personally, I would have students turn in the link as soon as they created the folder so I could take a peek at what they have all semester long, giving them formative feedback along the way.  In Edmodo, you can leave feedback in the comments box provided when you click on the student's turned-in portfolio, or you can leave it in the actual artifact itself using the "Play View" function of the folder.  Just click on the name of the folder after the student turns in the assignment, and the "Play View" function is in front of you in full Edmodo glory: (click for a larger picture)
Picture
A Google spreadsheet in the Play View of an Edmodo folder.
In Play View, you can move back and forth between the artifacts the student has placed in the folder.  The picture above is a Google spreadsheet; you can click in all the cells and leave comments if you so desire.  I found this also works with other media, such as Mindomo mind maps or a Corkboard.me corkboard:
Picture
Mindomo mindmap in an Edmodo folder. Mesmerizing.
While I'm sure that there are some types of files or media that won't show in the Play View or won't be able to be edited by you, all of the ones I have tried so far (mostly from Google Docs or Web 2.0 tools) have worked just fine.

I think using Edmodo for portfolios in this way would be a great start for teachers who want to dip their toes in the ePortfolio waters.  However, if you're looking for a portfolio that students can take with them after they leave your classroom or school where all of their evidence is arranged in a more professional manner for public consumption, this might not be the best option.   I was toying with the idea of having students keep these folders as working portfolios for most of the semester, and then transferring their artifacts to a Google site towards the end of the first semester, allowing them to pick and choose what they would like to put on their final Google site assessment portfolio.    As a nice side-effect, they will learn to use the great features available in the Edmodo library to help themselves organize all of their digital stuff.

Like I said, I know I'm not the only one who has thought of this.  So, if you have used Edmodo for portfolios (or have used Edmodo in any other fantastical way), please feel free to share what you've done and how it's worked-or not worked-for you.

Comments

08/05/2012 07:58

I was just toying with the same idea, and came across your post.
I was thinking about still having students turn in work as assigned and then scoring it with a checkmark or an L, to keep track of deadlines. Then when the unit is complete, having a checklist of all eportfolio item types to be assesses. They put their "best work" for each item into the folder and then turn in the folder for assessment. Now we can sit down - student and teacher together- and determine the student's overall grade for that unit.

Terie
08/06/2012 13:29

Thanks for the comment, Kate. That's a great idea to have them turn in the separate artifacts along the way to keep track of who is doing what. And you bring up a great point about the teacher and student working together to determine the score; it's that old "assessment is a conversation" phrase in action. I think that makes the portfolio much more valuable as a learning tool.

08/08/2012 03:44

I was interested the moment I saw your title 'Edmodo for ePortfolios' as I use Edmodo a lot with my adult English as a Foreign Language classes and I am just getting started on ePortfolios.

My own interest is in portfolios of spoken English and I don't think that it will be possible to use your idea to annotate audio recordings my students might add to their Backpacks, so for the moment I will have to stick with posterous although I don't annotate their entries on their posterous sites, either. I give them feedback in 1:1 messages in Edmodo where I embed their posterous posts.

For written work I'm sure your idea will work well.

Googling 'edmodo portfolio' gave me this video, which suggests using tags to create a portfolio accessible by teacher and student if the tags are shared. Edmodo Tags - portfolio:

This idea won't work for my students' written work as they turn in their assignments and Samar Moushabeck's students send their assignments in direct messages to her, which she can tag.

Incidentally, when you get your students to create their ePortfolio folders, they should give them names like Adam Smith - ePortfolio. I have found it very useful in the past to ask people to include their names in folder names.

Incidentally, I have started making a display ePortfolio of the recordings I made and a sample of recordings my students made:

Portfolio of My Spoken English (Simulation) http://portfolio-simulation.posterous.com/

Portfolio of My Students' Spoken English (Simulation) http://portfolio-students-spoken-english-simulation.posterous.com/

Both are works in progress preparing for a presentation I shall be giving in September

08/09/2012 06:45

Looked promising but play view doesn't work on iPad, in app or as full site. Still looking for g docs on iPad workaround.

Terie
08/09/2012 07:18

Thanks for pointing that out; Have you tried the GoDocs app? I recently started using that on my iPad.

08/11/2012 09:43

I have been looking at edmodo lately, just trying to see what it's about, and along comes your post most serendipitously! I would love to see it in action, live, but I know that would defeat the whole security feature. Thanks for being in my head again!

Terie
08/11/2012 10:23

No problem, Audrey! ;) Actually, you can see it in action at this site:

I'm not done making this page, but on it are some screencasts that would give you a good idea of what goes on in there. Hope this helps!

laurice
08/17/2012 13:46

I worked on Edmodo last year for the most part, I enjoyed using it. My only problem was that I could not or did not find a place to store assignments prior to sending them out. Can I get some help on this issue.

Terie
08/17/2012 16:13

Laurice, I don't know if there is a way to do that (if so, I haven't found it yet). But it is one of the features I would love to see them put into Edmodo, most definitely.

08/20/2012 03:29

Hi Laurice,
I am often re-using assignments from last year so it is easier as you can load old assignments when you choose 'Assignments'.

This means that if you send an assignment to yourself first, you can find it as an 'old assignment' later.

08/20/2012 03:31